Saturday 25 June 2016

Water-y tales

Some of you know that there's been some uncertainty surrounding our utilities.

I'm glad to say that our water, at least, is now on a much surer footing!

Last Friday, a man from the water company knocked on the door (never a good sign). He told me that there was a problem with our water, but as his English was non-existent and he obviously didn't think my Turkish was good enough to understand what he needed to tell me (he turned out to be correct), he gave me a piece of paper to take to the water office.

There were a few slight issues at this point - I couldn't decipher the piece of paper, I had no idea what the problem was, and I knew the water office was somewhere not too far away but didn't know the address (I think utility companies have offices in most districts here).

At this point, I handed the problem (along with the baby) over to L as he was coming home from language school and I was going to school. To cut a long story short, my very lovely husband sorted it all out that afternoon by enlisting the help of our estate agent.

It turns out that before we moved in, the water was officially disconnected (perfectly normal here, usually when moving out, you would get all your utilities disconnected) and the access point sealed. However, while our access point was sealed, our water had never actually been turned off - the only explanation we can think of is that the engineer somehow forgot to turn the water off before sealing it.

So we got our water reconnected, only it was never actually disconnected, just officially disconnected, so it actually didn't need to be reconnected, only to be officially reconnected. Following?

But, whatever way you look at it, it's pretty amazing how this has worked out. We've had water for the last 6 weeks that by rights, we really shouldn't have had. And we could have got it sorted sooner if necessary, but it has worked out easier to get it sorted now.

We're very thankful :-)