Tuesday 24 October 2017

When in Istanbul...

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

So when in Istanbul, do as the Istanbullus do.

That's my justification for the fact that today I told a man sitting on a metro train that my friend, who was standing close to him, was rather pregnant. He got the hint and immediately stood up to give her the seat without me needing to continue to make my point.

If I had been in the UK, I would never have dared do such a thing. I would hope that someone would see a pregnant lady and offer a seat but I'd never openly suggest such a thing. In fact, being very British, I would probably have just glared at the man taking up a seat, exchanged 'isn't-this-ridiculous-I-can't-believe-no-one's-offered-you-a-seat' glances with my friends and made a couple of impatient huffs with a pointed look towards my friend's 7 and a bit months pregnant bump.

But I'm not, I'm in Turkey where it is expected that when an elderly person or a pregnant person or a person carrying a baby gets on a train, someone will immediately stand up to offer them a seat. And where the typical British reserve and unwritten rule that you don't usually initiate conversation with fellow passengers on public transport doesn't exist either.

So in that context, my suggestion on the train today wasn't out of place at all. It was more shameful that no one had offered her a seat to start with. And the fact that the man immediately jumped to his feet showed that he knew exactly what was expected and what the culturally 'right' thing was to do.

But it's also slightly strange to realise that you're adapting to a country sufficiently to do something that you'd never dream of doing in your own country. Living here is changing me - there's now a small part of my character that knows that in certain situations and countries, suggesting to a stranger on a train they should give up their seat is a completely acceptable thing to do.

Although I probably won't be trying it on a train in the UK any time soon.